Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Upcycled Cake Platter

So, I found this awesome tutorial on how to make your own cake platter, instructions found here. And it was so easy, it took me, honestly, like five minutes to make. Many props go out to the girls over at Little Birdie Secrets!

I went to my local Goodwill in search of the perfect plate and stand. Really, the possibilities are endless here. Immediately I saw the plate I wanted to use. It was so vibrant and full of color and I just love it. It is sort of a Tuscany-Italiana pattern. After circling the store numerous times, picking things up and putting them back down, that's when I spotted it! A blue and white vase on the top shelf that so perfectly matched the blue in the plate. And when I put them together, it was as if they were made for each other!

And this can be not only a cake platter, but can be used for many things: appetizer tray, candle holder, a doodad that you put on your nightstand to hold jewelry! So much potential! I think I'm going to use mine at my next craft show to put jewelry on! One note, when washing, do not submerge in water, wipe off gently with a dishcloth since the pieces are glued together.

What do you think?


I started with these two pieces: a plate and a vase. Don't they look like they were made for each other?
And ended up with this! A cake platter, appetizer tray, jewelry display, candle holder...etc. Whatever I want it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment